Hello all! As I am sure you all know, November is National Adoption Month. This has meant a lot of events occurring in the community, from conferences to information booths to a lot of media coverage. I hope many of you have had the opportunity to participate in some of the happenings in your own community.
Open Arms has been involved in many of the events going on in the local area. Just this past weekend Michele LeMasney (it’s impossible to just say Michele at Open Arms) was at the Adoption Expo at Cherry Hill and Voorhees Malls. Kelly was at the Adolescent Health Institute Conference on Friday. The weekend before was the Concerned Persons for Adoption Conference in NJ. We have been featured in the Courier Post, a South Jersey newspaper, twice in the last two weeks: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009911080315
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20091115/NEWS01/911150340/1006/news01.
As always, we are extremely busy, not just with National Adoption Month, but with all our regular activities. Meredith has been leading many trainings for professionals throughout NJ and PA; at least one a week since the start of October. We have received many calls from women exploring adoption, professionals referring them and have even made a few last-minute trips to hospitals.
In the last few months the following couples have become parents-Congratulations!!
Mark and Sarah to Sophie
Chris and Lynn to Tori
Rick and Heather to MacKenzie
Patrick and Michele to Addison
Rich and Dina to Miriam
Harley and Bonnie to Bella
Mark and Martha to Louisa
Margie to Mia
Looking at that list it certainly seems that girls have been quite popular recently! I haven’t seen all the babies, but I have seen many, and I hope each of you gets the opportunity to do so too at one of our family events. They are all so adorable!
We have had many enlightening workshops in the last few months. Most recently, we had Baby Care Basics and The Effects of Substance Abuse During Pregnancy. The Baby Care Basics workshop presented tons of information. I think I can speak for all attendees in saying we learned a lot. I’ve been to this particular workshop twice already and each time I learn something new, which never ceases to amaze me, since I grew up around children and babies and have spent my entire life since around them.
The Effects of Substance Abuse During Pregnancy workshop was jam packed with information. Dr. Rachel Hachen and Dr. Susan Friedman from CHOP’s adoption program presented us with the medical facts about short and long term effects of cocaine, heroin, methadone, marijuana, alcohol and prescription drugs used during pregnancy. Then Sacha and Craig Wade spoke of their personal experience and those of their friends in adopting children exposed in-utero. Finally, Michele LeMasney spoke shortly about her experience with early intervention services. Thank you to Sacha and Craig and Michele for sharing your experiences!
If you are interested in researching more about early intervention services in your neighborhood (regardless of what state you are in) www.nichcy.org/states.htm has contact information for your area. Additionally, if y6u are interested in activities to do with your child to enhance their development (regardless of whether they were exposed to drugs or alcohol) www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/child/ has some good, age-appropriate ideas.
Don’t forget about this week’s workshop; you still have an opportunity to register if you haven’t yet. On Thursday, November 19th from 6-8:30pm Abby Ruder, MFT will be speaking on Exploring Children’s Developmental Understanding of Adoption. This will help you in knowing how to speak to your children about adoption at different ages and stages. If you are interested in attending please register through me by phone or email (or if you prefer on our website).
Our winter calendar of workshops should be coming out any day now. Keep an eye out for it.
Have a happy Thanksgiving,
Shlomit
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment